According to foreign media sources, Google has decided to shut down its instant messaging app, Allo, which wrote on its official blog
Google launched Allo for the first time at the May 2016 I/O conference and officially launched it on September 21 of the same year. Although Google has been vigorously promoting Allo project, but the actual effect is not obvious, Allo's number of active users and frequency of use are not high. As of April this year, the number of Allo users was still less than 50 million, which is quite different from those of WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, which are more than 1 billion user-level IM applications.
In an interview eight months ago, (Anil Sabharwal), Google's vice president, Anniel Sabb Havel, revealed the fate of Allo, saying that Google would
The Allo team's work over the past few months has focused on porting most of Allo's functionality to Android Messages, the source said. Google said Allo will officially cease service in March next year, before which users can export their own data backup, and Google also provided data export manual for users to refer to.
In fact, as early as January this year, Amit Fulay, the head of Allo products, left Google and moved to Facebook. Moreover, Allo's last major update was around January this year.
Since then, many Allo users have complained about the uneven performance of many Bug, products on Allo. Outside analysts believe this is mainly because Google has since decided to focus on the launch of a new unified instant messaging platform focused on the Android platform
Judging from the current news, this new instant messaging platform
Google also decided to shut down Hangouts, a consumer-oriented video chat service, by 2020, according to the news. The news came as no surprise, as Google shut down the Hangouts API a year ago and terminated development work.